Can we make natural vapo rub? I had the same reaction before making this and wow I was amazed with the results.
I am just crazy skeptical about the products my kids use and vicks was one of them.
I definitely hate using petroleum jelly on my kids because it may block the nose and they may have breathing difficulties. Plus It is not safe to be used on infants.
So why go through all the difficulties if you can make one yourself using natural ingredients?
In India using camphor is on of the ayurvedic techniques to relieve cold and cough. Just coconut oil and camphor alone will release thick mucus from your chest and lungs. You will be able to breathe well.
Before I started making my own products, I have just used hot coconut oil with camphor to clear the mucus from my children’s chest. It works like a miracle and hence I decided to make a vapo rub so that I can use it at ease.
Lets see how to make it.
- Camphor/menthol crystals – 1 tsp (I recommend this india)
- Beeswax – 1.5 tbsp (I recommend this india)
- Coconut oil – 1/2 cup (I recommend this india)
- Eucalyptus essential oil (optional) – 10 drops (I recommend this india)
- Peppermint essential oil (optional) – 10 drops (I recommend this india)
- Camphor essential oil (optional) – 5 – 10 drops (I recommend this india)
- Isopropyl alcohol (for cleaning) (I recommend this india)
- Heat resistant bowl/ beaker (I recommend this in India)
- A small glass jar or plastic jar
- Clean all the utensils using isopropyl alcohol.
- In a beaker or heat resistant bowl, add coconut oil and beeswax.
- Place the beaker onto a pot of boiling water.
- Once the oils have melted, ad the camphor / menthol and melt it.
- Once melted, add all the desired essential oils. Mix it well using a clean spoon.
- That’s it!! Pour the melted oils into a small glass jar or a plastic jar. Don’t forget to clean the jar using isopropyl alcohol.
- Close the lid and use it as needed.
- 1 tsp of camphor is safe for children under 2 years old.
- You can increase the amount of camphor upto 1 tsp for adults.
- Essential oils are optional in this recipe.
- You can use menthol crystals instead of camphor.
- You can also use camphor essential oil.